Sunday 21 October 2012

Woodhorn Country Park


Today whilst the sun was shining and warm I thought I would take my dad and his dog out for a drive. Although I have lived here awhile I am ashamed to admit that I have not visited the many Country Parks in the area around Northumberland as perhaps I should.


Today, I took it upon myself to visit Woodhorn Country Park, Ashington in Northumberland. Only a short distance from our home. As we arrived we were surprised to find that it was not only a Country Park but it also had a Museum as well.



As we entered through the main gate to our delight there in front of us was a huge lake surrounded by forestry, farmland and a Premier Inn.  Refreshments for all.



We parked the car in the main parking area looking out onto a lovely man-made lake with a variety of swans all happily foraging for bits of scraps thrown by the visitors. Nicely planned walkways with paths and seating in case you need to take a rest.

There was a railway line with a red and black train which collected passengers and took them up to the old Colliery Museum.


"Susie"
Due to dad being almost ninety with walking difficulties I suggested I take him to the pub for a cool pint of John Smith's beer, whilst I walked his dog around the lake.  I must admit how beautiful and natural it was and only minutes away from the town of Ashington.  On return from the walk both dog and I had a cool soft drink.

As we left Woodhorn Country Park, we decided that on our next visit we would take a look at the Colliery Museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment